According to Sinar Harian, 38-year-old cat lover, Muhammad Nor Fiqry Zahari, also known as Baba Conan, was shocked to find some of his 60 cats crowding around a chicken head in his house in Kuantan earlier last Tuesday (3rd April). He was not sure how the chicken head got there, but knew something was wrong upon closer inspection. Conan told the daily,
“I was surprised when I saw the chicken head inside the house because I never feed them chicken heads. When I took the head, I saw some liquid coming out of it that looked like a chemical substance.”
“My cats did not eat it, but they probably licked the liquid on the chicken that poisoned and killed them.”
He immediately threw away the chicken head and tried to flush the poison out of his cats’ system by washing their mouths and giving them coconut water to drink. Sadly, he was too late, as the poison had already taken effect in some of them.
Some of his cats soon began to appear fatigued and have no appetite. After a while, some of them began to die. As of Thursday (5th April), 17 of his 60 cats had died from the poison. Now, according to Astro Awani, that number has since gone up to 25, and Conan has decided to lodge a police report.
Since his cats’ deaths made the news, an unidentified man has since owned up to poisoning the cats.
According to Conan, the suspect allegedly called a local radio station and confessed to unintentionally killing the animals.
He said, “I don’t know who made the call, but my friend shared a recording of that phone call with me on WhatsApp. The man also said that he did not know that there were cats where he threw the chicken head.”
“He apparently wanted to use the chicken head filled with poison to kill rats and stray dogs in the area. I need to confirm whether this man is in fact telling the truth so that I can take action against him.”
Well, let’s hope that this man is tracked down and receives appropriate punishment for this irresponsible behaviour. Also, if you want to get rid of stray animals in your neighbourhood, call animal control or your local shelter, don’t poison them!